Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

Announcements and news from the Management...

Moderator: daHeadRat

Rat Overlord
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 am
The beta rules for the new Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games is now available for download here: DCC RPG Beta Rules. It has been described as "pre-D&D Swords & Sorcery" with a modern rules engine. As I understand it, the goal of the game is to allow gamers to "reproduce" the type of adventure and experiences of the "Appendix N" literature. Appendix N was in the 1st Edition Dungeon Master's Guide and listed the literary influences that, well, influenced the development of D&D. You can find it here: Appendix N: Inspirational and Educational Reading.

I plan on giving the beta rules a look. A number of the things I've read about the DCC RPG look rather interesting (e.g., the spellcasting rules) and I've always been a fan of the Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures for 3rd Edition and have put many of them to good use across different campaigns with different systems.
Rat Overlord
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 am
I'd also recommend reading the Designer's Diary posts at Goodman Games before reading the Beta Rules. They give a nice perspective on the hows and whys of the DCC RPG and are useful for understanding the game itself.
Rat Overlord
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:11 am
I read this yesterday. It has some brilliant ideas in it. I particularly like how the "Vancian" magic is handled. I'm most likely going to look into adapting some of the concepts for a Savage Worlds campaign in Greyhawk.

Although a lot of players, especially those used to 3rd and 4th editions of D&D, aren't going to be a fan of the character creation system, I kind of like it. The notion of the "funnel" and randomly generated characters is petty neat.

I don't think that this would ever become my go-to game but there are definitely some concepts worth mining and it could be fun for a game here and there.

Return to Announcements and News